Done with Camp NaNo, a couple days early even! Woo hoo! Now that I’ve found myself with a bit more spare time I thought it might be a good time to write about an interesting little experience I had during this project.
The first week of April I was on a trip overseas. I knew that it’d be hard to keep my word count up but I had almost two days of flying involved so I figured that’d give me a chance do some writing, even if I didn’t get much done the rest of the week.
On my return flight, the story was feeling a little slow so I write this really intense action sequence. It was fast paced, lots of back and forth, it was awesome. Probably the best action scene I’ve ever written. I ripped out six or seven pages in no time. Word count, smerd count, I’m the man.
But about an hour later, something was bugging me. I wasn’t sure what it was, I just knew that there was something off about the scene. I kept tweaking it, trying to make it feel better, but there was some underlying problem that unsettled me.
One of the things that I have learned as a writer is to pay attention to those gut feelings. Often the subconscious will pick up on something before the conscious mind does. So I paused the story while I tried to understand out what was going on.
It took me a while to figure it out but when I kind of stepped back and looked at it, it was obvious. I had wanted to write a certain type of scene so bad that I forced the characters into it. My main character was way too savvy to get sucked into that situation, it should never have happened.
It didn’t fit, I’d forced it. No amount of tweaking was going to change that. So, with reluctance, I chopped the entire seven pages. Seven pages!
This was so frustrating because that’s one of those holes that writers are often advised to avoid. If you’re true to your characters than the plot flows along, if a character makes some decision that doesn’t make sense that’s probably a sign that the writer is forcing the characters to fit into a specific plot point. I’d always thought that wasn’t a problem for me since I’m more of a pantser, but now I know better.
My word count suffered, it felt like all that work went down the drain, I had to rewrite pages and pages, but in the end the story was so much better for it. I’m glad I listened to my gut, figured out what was wrong and fixed it.
(Side note: I saved the pages in another file and was later able to salvage some of it in a more appropriate place in the story.)